Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Despite Weather...


The weather broke so I was able to put in a few miles this weekend, , Ventured out Friday night, went to Bourbon St and visited with Andy the door man, he said the crowds were good , peaceful and friendly.
I talked to some people from Michigan , Alabama and elsewhere, they were all having a good time.  There are 2 cruise ships docked on the River, one until Monday night. Friday night the crowds were light on Decatur, but on my return Saturday they were a little heavier and on Sunday they were out in full force.
I rode 25 Friday night, 30 Saturday and 25 Sunday, not much but for the dead of winter pretty good. In June I'll double that and then some. Friday night I passed Warren Easton about 8:45pm and on the news I find out there was a gun fight there at 9:00 pm.  they missed me again.   The weather this weekend was fantastic for riding, light winds, overcast, mild temps, none of that 35 degree crap. . Sunday I ran in to Jimmy McGittigan again, Said his sister just passed and to tell everyone from Easton hello. I also ran into Robert Gonzales and Teddy Morrell last week . . They haven't changed much.. their healthy and working.   This months Biking magazine agreed with me , if you take a fall, stay where you are and inventory your wounds before trying to get up ... Don't let someone help you get up until you've assessed your ability to do so. .  Toured Treme a couple of times , picked of some new pictures , a church I haven't investigated,  don't want to know what's behind the door at the Covenhead, a dark purple double . .  I was excited this weekend , they finished and opened the dog park in Lafaniere Park.  Its beautiful ,. really nice walk with about 300 yards of cement on the green grass, a big black wrought iron fence ,  beautiful strong benches and 3 tier water fountains with stainless steel taps that work and a shower head for the dogs to shower.  I know the little dogs can't wait for their owners to make them walk on the 130 degree cement with their tender pads in the summer.  There's a big yard for big dogs and a little yard for little dogs, I passed by today and there were dogs shitting everywhere, cause remember that's what it's all about , a place for your dog to shit other than home.
I can't figure out how the dog lovers over lobbied the Frisbee beer drinkers to take 5 acres of their field.
I also can't figure out what happened to the bike path that was proposed last year then dropped.
I also can't figure out why the walkers and joggers have to drink out of a dirty cement trough with a rusty dribbling tap that may or may not work that day. But hey , lets keep our priorities in line.  City Park did the same thing.  The one feature I did like was the Coyote axcess door to the small dog yard.  Maybe I can get my pet Chubracabra in there. . Chihuahuas everywhere.  Now that said, I'm sure I've pissed off most people I know , but remember I have more compassion for the Nutrias, the Chickens, the Ducks, the Swans,
the Cormorants , the turtles, the Ibis, the Squirrels ,  I'm afraid the feral cats the a crazy lady puts cat food out for every night are growing in numbers and moving into neighborhoods from overcrowding.  As usual their always welcome to shit in my yard, I love the smell and the feel of soft cat shit out my backdoor.
If I could find a Coyote I'd befriend him, why are we persecuting the poor Coyote ,  accused of many things yet not caught, or seen, just some look alike dogs.. I know a red tailed hawk that would snatch a Chihuahua in a heartbeat.  I like the one in Men in Black that talks. .  Like so many things under committee control with Carte Blanche the park will be developed till no blade of grass remains.  Stop pouring cement, we need grass.
Back to bike riding, , my hip is finally healed , ready for the next fall.  I've been touring Treme and Marigny , seeing things I didn't have time to see when I was a young buck in the area. . Or maybe I could''n see it from the cheap wine.  The new Iberville projects are beautiful, well done, well finished, well laid out. . Kudos's
The man living on the Bus Bench on Broad and Canal has been on that bench for at least 3 years.  Today he had his Bud Lights stacked under the bench and he was sound asleep, I have missed him on real cold nights, I think the city picks him up and brings him to a shelter, then back to home bench when it warms up .
I prefer a cardboard box, wine instead of hot beer, and a carton of Winstons.... Every time I think I'm crazy I turn to the TV and there's a group of moron's looking for Big Foot.  What fools, they should spent their time looking for something real like a Chubracabra. 
Next blog we return to the twilight zone, got my script filled.
Gary







Governor Nichols off rampart
cross, shackles, and a grave. behind church.
Hutchinson Memorial Tulane Hospital , on Tulane ave. Not the head figures and the crawfish in the metal grate.
The new Joy Theatre,  now showing movies, just music acts, I saw many a "B" movie there.  35 cents.
Some days have been cold - Bike took this picture.
Beautiful stained glass window at church on  Canal Blvd and Harrison, must see it at night to appreciate it.

saturday on Decateur, not many fans.

Little River band and Percy Sledge,,,, great line up at the Joy..



Ignatius and I waiting for mom under the DH Holmes Clock.

Left side of Door on Tulane University Building , note the figure heads.

Right side of building Figure heads.

Note the Medical signs and the crawfish in between.

New construction in New Orleans on  Banks Street.

Close of of modern engineering on banks st.

this purple house says Covenhead  ,   gee i wonder.

Mansion in Treme off rampart and Gov Nichols.

Old Church in Treme -

top half of old church in Treme

old church in treme

behind the old church is this chain cross with shackles hanging off it.

Old Corner in Treme ....

Got a tourist from Michigan to take this shot of me and my Wife,  the bike usually shoots the pics but to be in it I had to get someone else.

Same BCS headquarters on Decateur is loaded with fans on Sunday.

BSC Fans.. .

Plenty Red and  blue shirts on decateur.

fans everywhere.

Beer and ice trucks trying to keep Bourbon filled

Waiting for the next , no ,no shootings today.  

This man has been living on this bench on canal and broad for at least 3 years.

No comments: