Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Crescent City Classic 2010


















Great Classic this year, Stacy and I finished right behind the Kenyans, the ones from Luling. Cloudy, perfect temperatures, over 30,000 people I counted, I wore my best plaid shorts ,
a European Cycling cap, and my MS Bike Tour T-shirt, no cigarettes anymore. We started 10 minutes and 15 seconds behind the start of the race or it took us that long to get to the starting line. A sea of questionably intelligent people flowed down Decatur Street toward Canal st.
We passed hundreds and hundreds passed us, but down the road we caught them all.
The usual gangs were there, the Tuxedo Boys, The Chain Gang, The make believe Marines,
The Tri Colored Wig Nuts, hundreds in Saints uniforms, and don't forget those young studs without their shirts hoping next year they have chest hair. Three were two runners wearing those feet covers like your barefooted , they were limping and whining at the end of the race..
Back to Stacy and I, we kicked ass, didn't slow down , no whining , fought our way through the road blockers, and beat last years time by 8 minutes. Since we came in early there were bananas left over, soft drinks, chips, and shirts in our size, the Top Cats were getting ready to play just as we arrived at the finish line. The crowd in the Park was tremendous, very exciting
place to be. The distance (6.2 miles or 10kilometers,) does not include the 3 miles to Marconi and
City Park Ave to meet Marie for our ride. Those poor unfortunate people who parked on the Marconi neutral ground all got parking tickets, you'd think that for one day for one event they have mercy, but when it comes to money there is no mercy only money. I gained a new respect for women, there were girls with blisters on their heels that made me want to call 911 , scabs hanging off, bleeding, raw meat showing, ugh !. What makes a fat ass 60 year old man sit in a lawn chair on the side walk, drinking a Michelob, smoking a cigar , banging a tambourine and encouraging you to keep pushing. Why Why Why,,,,,,,, Don't forget the nut in the park that tells all 30,000 runners exactly how far the finish line is away, individually he tell you this like he' your life coach. I don't know if I'll do too many more , I saw so many fat asses that I think walking give you a fat ass. I did a little running toward the finish line for old times sake,
nobody cheered though , I guess they never heard of me or maybe they did and didn't recognize me with a cap on. Stacy and I discussed my favorite subject "me". It was interesting.
Well it's back to bike riding, May 8 th is the Tour De Lis, in City Park, it's a circle ride as much as you want . I may ride there,then ride it,then ride home. It was a great day, enjoyed the time with my daughter, we had a good time, while waiting for Marie a car stopped and opened the door to pick up some walkers, I grabbed a door motioned like I was going to get in the car and called to Stacy "hey lets go with these people", they thought it was funny. Marie picked us up just as the rain started to sprinkle down. Came home and hit the Ben and Jerry's, what a treat.
Next year we'll knock off another 8 minutes and maybe beat some Ethiopians from Weggaman.
Later. Click on the pictures to enlarge.


























































































No comments: