Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 11, 2010

French Quarter festival. 10



!st day of the French Quarter Fest. . Rode to the Quarter, it was still early , the streets were still open, They were setting up the stages on Royal and Burbon. The crowds were light, the fat lady that plays the calliope on the River boat was waking up half the city. I bet Tenessee Williams wanted to kick her ass dailey. I stopped on the River and had my nutrigrain bar and some gatorade. Stayed a few mnutes and watched the people go by, I could do that all day.
It's a cross between Walmart and Golden Corral, Women with the ugliest legs on the planet have tatoos on them to draw attention to them. Wear long pants. Everyone had a cup in thier hand either coffee or a mixed drink. Some of the street musicians were set up .. Thier cute but some are good others are lousy. I think when I retire I'll take my guitar, sit on the corner of Royal and St Ann and every once and a while I'll strum a few cords and see how much money I collect in the hat. Not much happening at the Festival this early so I rode city park , crossed the Wisner Bridge of death and made it to the Lakefront, Most of it is torn up for levee construction from there I followed the lake to Lafienere Park and finished my 40 miles. That night 7 people were shot on Royal and Canal. In true gary fashion the next morning I loaded up my gatorade,
nutrigrain bars, 8 gigs of music and headed back, this time the streets were packed. Burbon and Royal were closed off, I stopped on Canal and Royal and leaned on a lamp Post a while to wait for the next gun fight so I could get some action photos. Nothing happened though. Caught a shot of the Luckdog man almost getting plastered by a streetcar, and a closeup of a buggy horse sleeping on the job, I think they fired him. Jackson Square was shoulder to shoulder, I stood in the street and heard all the music, and talked to the mules, they weren't happy. the fools that paint themselves silver and stand on a milk crate beggin for money were all out, what talent.
Went to the River ,deputy dawg wouldn't let me walk my bike in , wanted me to leave it on the rack outside, yea right ,thats gonna happen. I listened to a little music there a while , got bored and headed down magazine to Audubon Park. There was a crowd there as well. Not sure why but they were there. Checked out the sights then hit the River to Williams blvd, the Rivers still high, they may have to open the Spillway again. Took to the neighborhoods to get home, smelling bar b que, Pot Roast, Crawfish, they was cooking all kinds of stuff, I just smelled , rode my bike and traveled on. Did 35 miles today. building up for the Tour De Lis, next month.
Its a fundraiser for Cancer research, Something I know a lot about. Weather was great,
people were great, no shooting today, the mules were talkative. Drunken middle aged women who can't dance were dancing in the street, uncle drunk and aunt fatty were everywhere.
Young black boys tap dancing with bottle caps stuck in their tennis shoes were making a fortune from tourist who actually think thats whats New Orleans is famous for cause they saw it in a Steve McQueen Movie. I love the quarter, worked there as a teenager adult, but what its really about is not what its about, ask Hemmingway.

click on the pic to enlarge.










No comments: